This article contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase after clicking on a link I may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you.
What Is A TENS Unit – What Can They Do…
Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation is delivered by TENS units. They do it simply by sending a light electrical current from a device to your body. The TENS Unit, often portable in size, provides different kinds of electrical stimulation through wires connected between it and electrode pads that are attached to your skin. The types of stimulation, often identified as Massage, Beat or Knead, are adjustable on the hand held device as well as the intensity of those stimulations.
What the light electrical current does when it enters your body through the electrode pads is create a sensation felt by the skin and tissue located near where the electrode pads are located. The sensation, which can be described as a tingling feeling, assists with pain relief. Many users of these hand held units have reported success in dealing with various forms of pain resulting from muscle strain or swelling in and around joint tissue.
Use A TENS Unit For Self HealingTreatments Or For Clients
These TENS units are a great way to treat pain for your massage clients. While you are massaging them, you an hook them up to the TENS machine for additional pain relief, or, while they are waiting to see you, they can hook themselves up to the TENS unit and treat pain.
These are a very useful treatment tool in the massage room as it gives you an extra tool to treat muscle pain in various areas of the body. Of course, a good TENS unit is also a treatment tool for the massage therapist to self treat and keep themselves in tip top health and relive muscle strain from hours of massaging clients. Below the table we have reviewed the best TENS unit for sale on Amazon.
Lifetime warranty Healthmateforever 6 modes with backlit, best Back Neck stress Neck Sciatic Pain Relief,
4.6 / 5 Star
TENS Units – The Top Five Best TENS Units This Year
The TruMedic TENS Electronic Pulse Stimulator is extremely lightweight – only 5.3 ounces – and as such is perfect for use as a portable device you can take and use virtually anywhere.
Operation buttons are clearly marked stating body location and type of massage being delivered. Speed and intensity are fully adjustable and there are 5 different pre-programmed settings.
Online reviewers of the TruMedic TM-1000PRO like the fact that it is very affordable and easy to use. They also indicate it is well built and powerful enough to reduce pain.
Problems identified by online reviewers include size issues where some users feel it is too big for use as a portable and others say the intensity levels are not powerful enough for what they want the unit to do for them. Another concern noted online is the fact that settings are locked and that there is no continuous use setting.
- Clear and simple LCD screen
- 10 power levels including three treatment functions, massage, beat, knead
- Includes 8 self stick electrode pads, certified latex free and can be reused many times
- Easy to use controls with independent channel control for left and right sides
- Treat 2 areas of your body simultaneously and Treat 2 people at the same time
- Perfect for treating debilitating back pain
- Treats pain all over the body, adhesive pads target pain areas
- Free of any side-effects and ISO-9001 certified
- FDA-Approved for over the counter use
- Includes a series of online pain management videos
- Some people felt it was too large
- Not powerful enough
- Some people were disappointed videos were online
2). Healthmate Forever Pain Relief Digital Electrotherapy Electronic Pulse Massager
The TENS Unit 8 Modes Professional Digital Palm Device is designed with a total of six pre-programmed massage modes, gets the 2nd top position on this list. What sets it higher, if that is possible, is the fact that the rechargeable battery (lithium) will provide a maximum of ten hours ouse when fully charged.
The fact that it is battery-powered, affordable and reduces pain were all pluses in reviews. Problems identified by users of this product include electrical shorts, problems recharging the battery as well as with the plug and cords. Missing instructions or unclear directions were also problems encountered by some customers.
- 20 levels of adjustable strength with 6 self-adhesive conductive of reusable gel pads
- 10 to 15 hours of use
- 3 sets of electrode wires
- Easy to read digital LCD screen and simple to follow instruction booklet and education manual
- Includes placement points chart
- FDA cleared and OTC for safety and effectiveness
- State-of-the-art 6 modes of digital TENS
- 1 USB Charger, wall unit Charger
- not a strong enough current
- Hard to use if you have limited dexterity
- Some people tried to use it when they were active, you need to be stationary to use a TENS unit
3) AUVON Rechargeable TENS Unit Muscle Stimulator, 3rd Gen
The AUVON Rechargeable TENS Unit Muscle Stimulator, is a handheld TENS unit that is completely digital. There are a total of 8 electrode pads that come with 2′ x 2′ pads.
16 Pre-programmed Massage Modes
The Auvon Pain Relief TENS unit comes complete with 16 pre-programmed massage modes to suit your pain relief needs. 4 electrode pads can be used simultaneously on various muscle groups.
Up To 10 Hours Of Use
The lithium battery has a long usage period was up to 10 hours of continuous use if need be.
There are also 3 manuals. One with the main instructions, another with acupuncture point replacement details and the third one focuses on detailed instructions for use.
A USB charger and wall charger complete the package.
Online reviewers of the Auvon like that it is portable and can hold a charge. The fact that it has 16 different modes with many adjustable strengths is also a plus. The long electrode wires with dual outlets and that it is effective in relieving pain were also favoured by product owners.
Problems identified by online reviewers include issues with the electrode pads not sticking properly at times as well as difficulties understanding instructions. The fifteen minute timer is viewed as not long enough for some users and a potential shock hazard has also been noted.
- 16 preprogrammed massage modes which include: Tuina-which is a push and pull mode, acupuncture, tapping, combination, bodybuilding and guasha- scraping mode
- Up to 10 hours of continuous use
- Cost effective method to ease muscle soreness, stiffness, or chronic pain
- Adjustable 10-60 minute timer with 20 levels of adjustable intensity / strength
- Targets various muscle groups for simultaneous effective treatment
- Does not require gels or creams for pads
- Easy to use at home and in a professional setting, very lightweight and Class II FDA cleared
- Not powerful enough for some people
- If pads not attached correctly, people may get a shock
- Pads were not sticky enough- must be applied to clean skin without moisturizer
4). Santamedical Electronic Pulse Massager/ TENS Unit
The Santamedical Electronic Tens Unit Muscle Stimulator is one of the best in TENS machine reviews with 100’s of reviews on Amazon. This TENS unit includes two sets of electrode pads, 4 reusable electrode pads all up.
Online reviewers of the Santamedical Electronic Pulse Massager like that it is one of the simpler units to learn how to operate. This unit is affordable, well-built and powerful. They also mention long-lasting batteries and the effectiveness it has in relieving pain as additional pluses.
Problems identified by online reviewers about this product include that is does not look very useful and that the timer lasts only fifteen minutes. Other issues include electrode pads not sticking properly and the shortness of the electrode cords between the pads.
- 6 auto modes with fully adjustable speed and intensity delivering high-frequency stimulation to relieve pain
- Easy to read LCD screen shows intensity, massage style and time period
- 3 massage styles to select from
- Weighs only 5.3 ounces, about the size of a remote control
- 4 reusable attachment pads
- 100% Money Back Guarantee
- Unit is FDA approved
- ISO-9001 certified
- Some reviews said pads were not sufficiently sticky
- If pads were not attached properly, some people received a shock
- Not enough power
5) Pure Enrichment With A PurePulse TENS Unit
The PurePulse – TENS Electronic Pulse Stimulator is a TENS unit manufactured by Pure Enrichment. It has a total of 4 electrode pads that are attached to two separate electrode cords. You can treat yourself and your partner at the same time with the 2 separate cords with ease.
3 Unique Massage Styles
The handheld unit delivers 3 different massage styles to pre-programmed sites that are labeled in site specific words including Shoulder, Waist and Joint.
Many customers have commented on just how powerful this TENS unit is in their TENS unit review. We noticed the majority of reviews on this PurePulse unit are exceptionally positive with very few negative reviews available. Along with the truMedic, we feel this is another best home TENS unit
Online reviewers of the Pure Enrichment PurePulse Electronic Pulse Massager like that it is affordable, powerful and easy to use. Others indicate they like the various settings and that it is effective in relieving pain. Problems identified by online reviewers include issues with some units not working properly when received while others have had units stop working after a battery change. A shock hazard has also been identified.
- 3 bodywork settings, massage, beat and knead
- Safe method of natural pain blocking with a powerful and strong pulse
- 4 reusable electrode pads
- Dual channels allow you to treat different muscle groups simultaneously
- Treat 2 people at the same time
- Treats using 6 high-frequency stimulation modes
- Comprehensive LCD display shows treatment time, treatment areas, pulse speed, massage settings and more
- 4 AAA batteries, 1 wall charger, 1 USB charger
- Some people didn’t feel it was powerful enough
- Electrode patches were not sticky enough, make sure you attach to clean skin
- A couple of people found the controls too sensitive
The Best TENS Unit Bottom Line
Clearly a TENS unit can be a highly effective way to reduce pain resulting from strain, injury or swelling of the joints. In many cases a small, portable TENS unit produces enough power in electronic stimulation to be successful in combating pain and discomfort, even chronic pain is successfully reduced. If you are looking for an alternative to treatments you may already be receiving for these conditions, there is a good chance a TENS unit will be the solution to your pain issues.